Monday, August 17, 2009

An interns life for me pt. 2

Witnessing the fall of journalism

I read it in the news everyday. See the print journalism industry walk down one of two paths... Trying their luck on the World Wide Web or Extinction.
Various news outlets all around the nation close every week, while we sit at home reading about it thinking, "sucks to be them."

Karma is a bitch.

On Monday, August 10. LIFE Publications, the company I have spent the last 2 months interning at closed one of their 13 local newspapers and laid off four staff members. I am witnessing the fall of print journalism. Now in all fairness to the publishers and the company, the reason for shutting this paper was not solely based on money, but me, the person who has backed the industry over the last few months had my eyes opened to the facts. Things are no longer getting worse... They are at rock bottom.

In the days leading up, the large office was filled with small groups of people talking in secret starting rumors that flew from desk to desk.

Now, I'm not gonna dress up and stand on a sidewalk in NYC screaming, "The end is near!" Firstly, because I don't have the gas money to get down there and secondly, because I still, for what its worth, have hope for the industry.... That is until my college newspaper folds. In that case NYC, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment