Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lessons learned in a college newsroom pt. 3

Getting the good shot:

I could be the greatest writer in the world. Get all the best sources and all the bets quotes, but without a great photo, it means jack.
I preach to photographers in the newsroom that standing in one space and taking 10 photos DOESN'T CUT IT!
The rules of news photography are well known.... So why is it so hard to execute them?
Don't be afraid to do WHATEVER is needed to get the best possible shot. I was asked today to go and write a story and take a photo of a new fire truck at the station by my work. After taking notes and getting the background info set, it was time to take the photos. So... Did I stand next to the truck and snap a few photos? NO
What I did do though is take about 200 photos from every angle, including signing a medial release form, strapping on a safety harnest and going up into the engine's bucket ladder and take photos at over 100 feet in the air.
When I think of a good news photo, I want to see everything though the eyes of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment