Friday, January 29, 2010

Lessons learned in a college newsroom pt. 4

Step back:

I have always had the ability to step into big situations and handle them under pressure. My problem starts when that situation ends.

I have a good idea of how to avoid stepping on peoples toes and where "the line" is. And I respect that, but up until this quarter, I was also always the one who was ready to spring at any opportunity to step in and help. The thing that I now realize is that I'm not helping them, but hurting.

So I can happily say that When it comes to the print version of my student newspaper, I have made myself disappear, and if there is something that the rest of the staff needs done... They will have to learn it.

This also allows me to give my undivided attention to The Communicator Online, which is being judged this upcoming month for the nation's two most prestigious collegiate journalism awards (ACP Pacemaker & SPJ Mark of Excellence)

1 comment:

  1. Well said Madison. You've done a pretty good job of keeping your hands off of things as far as the print product goes, while still giving insight and tips that point us in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete